How to apply for British citizenship by naturalisation

There are 3 ways to apply for British citizenship by naturalisation:

make an individual application
use the Nationality Checking Service (NCS)
use an agent or representative
Make an individual application
You must fill in Form AN – application for naturalisation as a British citizen

Read the guidance notes and the requirements booklet, which tell you how to fill in the form and what other documents you need to provide.

Apply using the NCS
The NCS is run by local councils and they can help you make your application. Check if your local council has an NCS.

Apply through an agent or representative
An agent or representative is a private company or individual that can help you with your application and give you advice.

Check if an agent or representative is registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner.

Read about the fees for citizenship applications.

Biometric information
You must also provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo). This costs £19.20.

The Home Office will tell you when you need to provide your biometric information. Your biometric information is only held until you’ve attended a citizenship ceremony.

Where to send your application
Send your application form, fee and any supporting documents to:

Department 1
The Capital
New Hall Place
L3 9PP
Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
Send your application to the Lieutenant Governor.

British overseas territories
Send your application to the Governor of the territory.

Hong Kong
Send your application to the British High Commission or the British Consulate.

All other countries
Send your application to UK Visas and Immigration:

Department 1
UK Visas and Immigration
PO BOX 306
L2 0QN
Read about the different fees for citizenship applications.

You’ll get a letter confirming your application. It can take up to 4 weeks for you to get the confirmation.

A decision about your application will usually be made within 6 months – some applications can take longer.

You’ll be told if you need to give more information to help with your application. You should also contact UK Visas and Immigration if your situation changes (eg, you move house, get married or are arrested) during your application.

Nationality contact centre

You might be asked to attend an interview where you’ll need to speak without an interpreter.